Welcome back to Scion.
As you may know, The Mime Order was released earlier this year in Australia and I had a blast diving back into Paige’s world — a world full of brutality, hidden gifts and underworld crime. Shannon has created a place that’s truly gripping and scary, but you can’t help but come back for more. Read my reviews for The Bone Season (Book 1) and The Mime Order (Book 2) if you haven’t already.
As you may know, Australia doesn’t seem to be a huge fan of hardcovers, so we have a version of The Mime Order in paperback from earlier this year. But in the UK and US, they’re releasing the paperback version, with a new cover (which you can see in the banner above). Looks pretty awesome doesn’t it?!
The Bone Season is a dystopian epic set in the year 2059, and The Mime Order follows on from where it’s left off: “Nineteen-year-old Paige Mahoney’s job is to scout for information by breaking into people’s minds. Paige is a dreamwalker, a clairvoyant and, in the world of Scion, she commits treason simply by breathing. When we meet Paige again, she’s on the top of London’s most wanted list – but this is only the beginning of her problems and the beginning of a tension-filled, riveting page-turner that’ll have you glued to your seat.”
With thanks to Bloomsbury Australia, I was lucky enough to be given the opportunity to join in on the blog tour for the release of The Mime Order in paperback. And what’s even cooler is that Samantha has taken the time out of her busy writing schedule to share 7 things that we didn’t know about her.
7 things you didn’t know about Samantha Shannon
1. I have a tattoo of two shooting stars on the back of my right shoulder. I had it done to celebrate my eighteenth birthday, but it also represents an unpublished sci-fi novel I started when I was fifteen, which was rejected by agents when I sent it out. It’s my reminder to try again and not give up if things don’t go the way I planned.
2. Our family pet is a handsome tortoise named Lily-Beth. He’s male, but we originally thought he was female and the name stuck.
3. I have four siblings: Alfie, Jordan, and the twins, Amy and Jack. I’m much older than all of them – the eldest, Jordan, is twelve years younger than me, and the twins are eighteen years younger.
4. I’m 5”11’, which always seems to surprise people when I meet them. I didn’t often see tall heroines in books when I was in my teens, so my protagonist, Paige, is 5”9’.
5. I’m a migraineur. I get migraine with aura, which means I experience snazzy visual disturbances as well as head pain. I got my first migraine when I was eighteen, and I thought I was going blind. By some miracle, I somehow got myself on the bus and in to see the optician, who told me I needed a doctor! Things that trigger my migraines include alcohol, too much caffeine, and milk chocolate. Because of this, I’ve been teetotal since 2013, which hasn’t been as hard as I thought it would. (The lack of chocolate has been harder.) Although my migraines are debilitating, they inspired much of the world of The Bone Season, such as clairvoyants’ auras and the pain Paige experiences as a result of leaving her body.
6. I’m thalassophobic and selacophobic. Even thinking about the sea makes me break a sweat, and most of my nightmares involve sharks. I think they’re amazing animals, incidentally – I just don’t want to go anywhere near them, so I never swim in the ocean. However, I do love swimming in pools – it’s the only exercise I enjoy.
7. My real surname is Shannon-Jones, and my middle name is Jo-Anne.
Thank you so much for taking the time to share these cool facts about you Sam!
You can find out more about Samantha Shannon and her books by following the rest of the blog tour:
The Mime Order is now available in paperback through Bloomsbury for $19.99