Hai guys! Yes, we’re back after a week of MIA…oops? Damn you real life! First off, happy mother’s day to all the superwomen out there – who run the world? GURLS. I hope you all get spoilt by your loved ones on this special day. 🙂
Anyways, back to the actual post – I’ve noticed that I’ve kind of fallen into this habit of picking up the smallest books when I’m looking for my next read. Just last week, I finished off the whole Locke & Key graphic novel series because it’s such a quick read and I can knock off a few ‘books’ on my Goodreads challenge. Is this cheating? I don’t know…but it’s got me thinking…do you guys do something similar when you’re looking for your next read?
Of course, when I have deadlines to meet for certain books, I would pick those up first. However, if I’m looking for just a random book to shove into my bag for the train ride to and from work, I tend to pick the shortest ones. This is because:
- Books are heavy, and my bag does not have enough space to fit my laptop and a book.
- I get a huge satisfaction from finishing off a book – so shorter books mean quicker satisfaction?
- Shorter books also mean I can clear out my TBR faster.
That is not to say that I don’t love tackling huge books as well. However, I usually prefer reading one book at a time so if I start with a huge book, I would put my energy into finishing it off…and that could take a while these days.
This becomes a problem when you have to factor your blog into consideration. If my energy is being spent on finishing off a huge book, I may not be able to review anything for a little while. Fortunately for me, I have a backlog of reviews that I haven’t gotten around to yet, but that may not be the case for everyone else.
So I’m curious, how do you guys pick your next read? Do you factor in time-constraints, heaviness of the book (let’s be honest, no one wants to carry a book the size of a watermelon around), deadlines or something else when picking up your next read?
Let me know your thoughts, and have a great Sunday! xx
Latest posts by Joy (see all)
- 5 honest thoughts I had before I started The Priory of the Orange Tree - March 4, 2019
- Book Review: Lady Helen and The Dark Days Deceit (Lady Helen #3) by Alison Goodman - January 14, 2019
- eARC Review: 99 Percent Mine by Sally Thorne - January 1, 2019