Oh boy, can you really believe it’s almost 2017? Because I seriously can’t. 2016 has just flown by, and while there’s been some serious lows, I’ve also had some very incredible highs as well. I’m sad to see 2016 go, but I’m also very excited to see what 2017 will bring!
I haven’t done one of these favourites posts in a while. Lol let’s be honest, my blogging schedule this year has been close to non-existent. Not going to lie, blogging took a back seat for me, and had become a bit of a chore that I felt like had to be ticked off my to-do list every weekend. It became a little tedious and I just had to step back a bit, especially as I spend every day at work reading, writing and tackling a crazy inbox of emails. More writing was the last thing I wanted to do when I got home each day, let alone on the weekends.
I’m so grateful that my office shuts down over the Christmas break, because I really, really needed the time to just recharge myself. Now that I’ve gotten enough sleep and have a good reading momentum going, I’m ready to get back into the blogging spirit just in time for the new year. Woop!
Aside from reading, I’ve found a new found appreciation for all things cosmetics this year. I’ve always been that girl that wanted nice smooth skin, but was too lazy to put in the effort to achieve it. I hated spending more time than necessary on a 30-step skin routine. I’m still too lazy for that, but I’ve gotten better with taking care of my skin! I drink a lot more water than I used to, and I’m trying my best to cut out soft drink once and for all (except as mixers…c’mon, one step at a time…don’t judge me).
Some of my favourite beauty products in December include:
- The Face Shop masks — After visiting South Korea a few months ago, I’ve definitely found a new love for face masks. K-beauty is lauded around the world, and now I finally understand why. They are miles ahead of the west when it comes to skin care, and some of the things I came across during my time in the country was a little bizarre! Nevertheless, the trip has taught me a few things about taking care of my skin, and I now religiously use these masks to brighten, tighen and rejuvenite my tired skin. Absolutely love it!
- e.l.f Tone correcting powder — I first discovered e.l.f during my trip to the States in 2010. I tested out their eyeliner back then, and fell in love with the brand. Not only is it super cheap and affordable, but it actually works. And a lot better than a lot of high end brands that I’ve tried. Imagine my surprising when I walked by an e.l.f stand in Kmart earlier this year! I’m so bloody happy that the brand is now available in Australia because who doesn’t like affordable makeup that does what it promises? I picked up this tone correcting powder just to give it a go. It’s literally $8, so I wasn’t too fussed if it didn’t actually work or suit my skin tone. But to my surprise, this small little compact powder seriously did wonders to my skin. It leaves a very nice matte finish, and evens out my skin tone very well. Definitely worth the $8 I spent!
- Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipsticks — One of my favourite matte liquid lipsticks of all time is the Kat Von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in the shades Lolita and Lolita II. Ha I know, I really like to test the waters there 😛 These shades are absolutely perfect for my skin tone, and I’m so in love! They’ve been my go to lipsticks for night outs lately and I’m still not over how pretty they look. I definitely want to give a few other shades a try as well.
- Tony Moly Berry Mix Hand Cream — This hand cream makes me want to eat my own hand. Another thing I like to neglect when it comes to skin care are my dry hands. Every summer, they get super gross and I always tell myself I need to get better at moisturising in general. I purchased a whole heap of hand creams during my trip to South Korea, and one of my absolutely favourites are that Berry Mix. IT IS SO DELICIOUS but not too overwhelming, which The Body Shop ones can sometimes get.
Other miscellaneous products I loved in December:
- Spurr sandals — I’ve always wanted a cute pair of sandals with an animal print. These are just so adorable and I really like the lace up bits. Gives it an extra bit of fanceh!
- Granhand Marine Vacth candle — Another little tidbit that I bought in South Korea. Many, it was super expensive (I did the conversion after I bought it), but it smells soooo darn good and seriously no regrets. Ben and I stumbled into this little house / candle and scents store while sightseeing one day, and I spent like 30 mins just sniffing all the candles. Definitely a sucker for a nicely scented candle.
Phew, that’s it for this month’s beauty favourites. When it comes to books, I really enjoyed The Hating Game, and I’m currently reading And I Darken which is dark and intriguing and I’m loving Lada so much.
Hope you guys enjoy the rest of 2016 — this will be my last post for the year 😉 See you on the flip side! x
Latest posts by Joy (see all)
- Double Book Review: Truthwitch and Windwitch (The Witchlands 1 & 2) by Susan Dennard - February 12, 2017
- Giveaway: A Quiet Kind of Thunder by Sara Barnard (AUS only) - January 23, 2017
- Movie Premiere & Review: LION - January 18, 2017