I’m going to start off this review by truthfully saying that I haven’t actually watched many episodes of Game of Thrones. I think I got up to about episode 2 or 3 of the first season? By that time I think everyone was up to about Season 3 and I decided to just wait till the series ended and binge watch the entire thing.
I didn’t mean to get this box. I had ordered the previous Beauty and the Beast box from The Best Damn Subscription Box and that one had taken so long to come I’d forgotten to cancel my subscription and here we are.
The packaging was well done and I thought the envelope and wax seal was a really nice touch!
- A water-colour bookmark of Jon Snow by @marquisdusoleil
- Magnetic bookmarks in a variety pair characters (I got Jon Snow and another character who I don’t know the name of…. oops) by @nerdygrldesigns
- Handmade Stark or Targaryen necklace by The Best Damn Craft shop. I’m actually not sure which one it is. It’s a dragon that’s all I know.
- A lovely handcrafted dragons egg coaster by @pigseyart designs. This is actually a gorgeous product. I don’t think I’ll actually be using it as a coaster though!
- A bookmark for ‘The Bad Seed’ by @mikelackey23
- A bookplate for ‘Crystal Crowned’ by @Elise.Kova
- A button pin of the Mother of Dragons by Infinity Designs (the box states this is a bonus item to compensate for last months box wait)
- This months novel was a hardback copy of The Crowns Game by Evelyn Skye. I’d seen this one around on the internet so I was quite pleased with this
- I also received a bag of Jon Snow themed wax crumble by Once Upon A Wick which was not mentioned on the card. I have to admit, I was actually unsure of what they were and it took me about half an hour to google.
$39.99 USD plus $19.99 USD shipping which equals WAY too much with the Australian exchange rate. Although, the book is hardcover so that does need to be taken into account.
My first impression is that this box is much better in terms of quality and quantity than the previous month. Quite a number of the items in the previous box I received from last months were poorish quality, including the necklace I had received. I also received no tracking number as promised, and had to email them twice with no response, before finally commenting on one of their posts for them to actually reply and send me through the tracking number. It arrived weeks after everyone else had received them.
It was almost the same experience for this box. I only received my tracking number after I emailed them concerned that my box had not yet been sent out. While this box came much quicker than the previous one, I didn’t appreciate emailing them for the tracking number when their newsletters and Instagram posts stated that those tracking numbers were being emailed directly to us. By looking at their Instagram feed and reviews it looks like I’m not the only customer who has had issues with their lateness and lack of communication.
While I’m not a Game of Thrones fan, I did appreciate the improvement of quality and I will be gifting quite a few of the items to my friends. The necklace is quite flimsy which is a little bit disappointing but not altogether horrible.
Having bought two of the boxes from this subscription box, I don’t think I would buy from them again. Although the improvement in quality was a bonus, it just wasn’t worth the effort of chasing them up every time to see if my box had in fact been posted (as was the case with my Beauty and the Beast box from the previous month – I had a suspicion they’d even forgotten about my order as the shipping number date was the date after I’d contacted them on Instagram).
Add the additional cost due to the exchange rate and I just don’t think it’s worth it. There are much better subscription boxes out there that provide better communication to their customers and have their boxes out on time with high quality items.
*Disclaimer: I was not asked to do this review but did it of my own accord, I paid for the box myself in full.
Latest posts by Alana (see all)
- Book Subscription Box Review: The Best Damn Book Box – Game of Thrones - September 6, 2016
- Happy 4th Birthday to Thoughts by J! - August 16, 2016
- Discussion: Would you take an eReader or paperbacks on a holiday? - June 21, 2016